An abuser may control you by controlling your finances. This could include
- Withholding money or finances.
- Stealing money from you.
- Gambling money that’s needed for essentials.
- Using money for alcohol or drugs.
- Controlling what you spend your money on.
- Withholding basic needs.
- Not paying bills.
- Stealing your identity.
- Stopping you from working, studying.
- Financial abuse can continue after the relationship is over by refusing to pay maintenance, taking you through family court unnecessarily
- Many victims cannot afford to leave their abuser and finances are sometimes one of the reasons they stay.